We’re having our engagement photos taken next Monday (can you believe it?) by our dear friends Lukas & Suzy VanDyke. I designed their logo last year, so instead of paying me in money, they are paying me in photos! Isn’t it awesome to have talented friends?
I’ve started to pull a couple outfits together for the photo shoot I wanted one to be a more “everyday” look, and one to feel a bit more special. We’re doing 3 locations—our home, a favorite restaurant, and CSUN, the college where we met. Overall I want the outfits to feel like me, but me on a good day. I’m getting my hair trimmed and my nails done on Saturday, and I’ve told M to make sure his favorite shirt is washed.
made with Polyvore
As I was doing this, I thought of 5 tips for engagement shoots:
1. Less is more. I tend to go overboard with the accessories when I want to look nice. Keeping it simple makes the photo about you, not about your jewelry, or that hot pink jacket. Layer neutrals with one bold color to keep the photos from being too busy.
2. Underthings. As you can see from the collages above, I plan on keeping my navy tights on the whole time. I’ll be changing my dress at home or a restaurant bathroom, but I don’t want to take too long. Keeping your underthings (including bra straps!) the same for each outfit will keep the photo shoot moving, and also lessen the amount of stuff you’re taking along with you.
3. Details. Get your hair cut, your eyebrows waxed, and your nails done a day or two ahead of time so you don’t have to worry about looking your best. If you have time to bleach your teeth, that wouldn’t hurt either.
4. Layer. Bring a sweater, a jacket, a scarf, even a hat. You never know if you’ll feel cold, or hot. Taking off or putting on a layer is an easy way to change your look without changing your entire outfit.
5. Be yourself. Have fun. The point of this photo shoot is to capture you and your love. Once your photographer shows up, hand over the reins and be flexible. The photographer will make sure you look your best, so smile, laugh and don’t worry about the camera.
I can’t wait to show you all how they turn out!
Wedding Wednesday is a series started by Lovely Struck.